Monday, March 3, 2014

I Didn't Get The Sunset...


I was out running errands, and was a couple of miles from home, and from the water, when I turned to the west and saw a spectacular sunset with layered clouds.  As I headed toward the water, all the traffic signals were red, of course, and I could see the colors on the clouds fading.  So I grabbed my iPhone and started shooting out of the windshield, hoping to get something.  I wasn't talking on the iPhone so it was ok to be holding it (at least in my world view...)  Something about the red traffic lights in the distance, and the red tail lights in the foreground and the hint of color in the sky seemed to come together and make a photograph.  Not a great one, however.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i still appreciate what you were trying to capture. I actually liked the boarder with this shot, seems very 70's to me but not sure why.

Anonymous said...

The sunsets the past few days have been spectacular!!! Feels kind of like a respite from the terrible cold. :).. There is something interesting about the red lights along with the colors in the sky.

Dean said...


While appreciate a good sunset, it is tough from town - imagine how much better it would be without all the power and cable lines strung through the picture! It seems so futile to try to get a wide sky picture from town. I know they can put power and signal lines underground - why don't they?! It would make the view so much better! -Dean

Ken Spencer said...

The borders in this photograph are the result of me using a separate app for the iPhone that tries to make "retro" looking pictures, by using fuzzy lenses and ragged borders. I fall into the sucker trap of using it from time to time - it's almost as if, if my photo isn't good enough, then I use Hipstamatic to shoot it! :-)
As for putting the powerlines underground, they have been discussing that subject out east on Long Island. They have just installed 110 foot-tall poles and the residents are complaining. The power company says that putting those wires underground - and this is a new installation - would cost something like 5 to 10 times more money.

Anonymous said...

We've all seen a gazillion sunsets. The layering, colors and complexity of this image is much more interesting!