Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Crassostrea virginica


Crassostrea virginica? What?  That is the scientific name for "The Eastern Oyster."  Why would I know this?  Because in High School I worked for the Milford Marine Biological Laboratory, and I did photography for them.  I used to photograph oyster larvae through a microscope.  If you do that enough times, you get to memorize the name.  Kathy was out east with a friend for a couple of days, and she surprised me by bringing home a dozen fresh oysters!  Man, I haven't had oysters in years.  Really.  Maybe 20 or 30 years?  I have been meaning to head over to  F.M. Flower & Sons in Oyster Bay to buy some fresh oysters, but never quite got around to it.   I even went to the Oyster Festival, but the line was too long, so I didn't get any there.  So I rummage around in a drawer, and came up with my old oyster knife, and this is what I did.  Man, these were incredibly delicious!  In case you were curious. 


7 comments:

Dean said...

Hey Ken-
Amazing what people will eat... 'Course, growing up on the farm, we ate beef tongue and heart, and I've caught the blood for my uncle to make blood pudding. But I would never have thought to eat something like that. Glad YOU enjoyed them. Hey, I only see 11, what happened to the dozen?! -Dean

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm asking the crude question. Do oysters really make you more amorous? Would love to know if that's a myth or if it's a true love potion. Like, did you have a fun night? (Sorry for being so direct, but it was impossible not to ask. Think of it as my way of having a good time.)

Anonymous said...

Yow. Is that like eating worms?

Ken Spencer said...

Dean: The last one wouldn't fit on the plate! So I ate it. You must have been the ONLY person to count them! I thought I would get away with it!

Anonymous said...

They look so delicious. Having dinner with Betsey & Karen tonight to celebrate her birthday and I know we will enjoy some oysters. I can also walk a block to Scribner's & enjoy them. Hard to believe you waited so many years. I remember Moe Knox filling our kitchen sink with them as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Joan & I always eat oysters and clams at the Milford Oyster Festival. We both enjoyed some at Liv's Oyster Bar in Old Saybrook 3 weeks ago - delicious! I should buy a good knife and learn to open them so I could eat them more often :-) bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Anonymous: If you wondered about whether oysters are an aphrodisiac, just look it up on the internet. If it IS on the internet, it HAS to be true! I checked Wikipedia, and oysters are not listed.