Thursday, August 14, 2014

Trying to be Someone Else



There is a major exhibit of photographs of the photographer Gary Winogrand now at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  He is one of the masters of street photography, and was mainly active in the 1960's and 1970's and into the 1980's. So I went to the city today just to see it.  Stunning photographs - an amazing breadth of subject matter and creativity.  There were so many many black and white photographs to see, it was exhausting, and exhilarating.  So naturally, when I left the museum I started shooting on the street.  Nothing I did is even CLOSE to his work, but it was interesting to try shooting in a new way.  Interesting in this photograph, that two of the four people that are in the picture, are on to me!  Winogrand mostly shot in black & white, and I was shooting in color.  So I converted the image to black & white to see if I liked that version better.  Which one do you like?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the color. It is a busy street and the color gives more dimension.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Love the vibrancy of the colors - their clothes and the street signs. bsk

Anonymous said...

I get a feeling of depth and texture in the b&w

ginger said...

black and white. i find the color distracting.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments. I am really torn between the two. A REAL photographer would know which one was best. I tend to see "better" in color. I think I would not have thought of black & white, if that bright orange fence were not in the picture.