Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Monster



I went over to Port Washington this morning to have the car's oil changed.  When I drove by the west side of Hempstead Harbor I couldn't believe how large this crane was.  It has never been there before, and in fact, looks brand new.  This thing is a monster, and it is hard to show how large it is.  It is called the Weeks 531 and it is on a 420 foot barge.  The length of the boom on the crane is 205 feet, and it can lift 500 tons!  That is one million pounds!  What a beautiful piece of machinery!


So it is hard to get a sense of how large this crane is.  I was looking for any sign of workers and eventually saw these two crewmen on the tugboat.  See how small they are, and then go back to the original photo to find the tug on the right side of the photo.  The crewmen are invisible in the wide shot. Man, this thing is BIG!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your enthusiasm!!! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Betsey: I am enthusiastic because this was such an impressive thing to see! (There I go again... :-)