Friday, March 9, 2018

A Mentor to us All


This is Harvey Weber, who was the Director of Photography at Newsday, and he is the man who hired me from the Rochester Times Union in November of 1966.  He was a wonderful boss and a real mentor to a whole new generation of photographers who were hired about that time.  He called me "the kid."  He was the boss, and yet he worked Sundays, which is when all the new photographers worked.  After a day of shooting for the next day's paper, we would all go out to dinner at the Old Country Diner, and we would talk photography, which is where we all learned.   He asked me to do a portrait of him in 1980, I think it was.  I shot a roll of Kodachrome, and he asked me to just give him all the transparencies.  I was always sorry that I never kept one.  Then the other day I found this scan of one of them, and was thrilled to find it.  Harvey was given awards for his work in the education of young photographers.  He was lost to us in 1991.  I have always grateful for the years working with him and for all I learned from him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memorial of this man who mentored you and so many other photographers. Glad you found this photo. betsey