Monday, March 12, 2018

My First Leica


This is my first Leica camera, an M2.  When I was in college studying photography, we didn't have much money and it was a struggle to pay for film and photographic paper.  My mom used to take care of an older woman down the street so she could send me money to buy photo supplies.  A number of students in my freshman class were sent to RIT by their parents who owned photo studios.  A number of them had 2 or 3 Leica cameras and lenses.  The Leica is a magnificent camera, very solid, but quiet when the shutter releases.  It is a joy to pick up and hold, and click the shutter because it feels so solid.  I would wander into a classmate's room, and ask if I could pick up one of their Leicas and just hold it.  When I graduated and got my first job, for the Rochester Times-Union, I took my first two paychecks and went down to Rowe Camera near the RIT dorm and bought this used Leica for $150, in 1964.  I have had it ever since.  I used in Rochester to shoot some types of photos for the paper, and I used it at Newsday.  It still works perfectly, but is a bit worse for wear on the outside.  I did buy a second Leica 30 years later, a used Leica M6, and that one is still in mint condition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$150.00 in 1964 seems like a huge amount of money for a used camera. Hard to imagine the equivalent today. Love that you still have this camera.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Today's post brings me back to my days living in Sea Cliff during the early 1970's. I remember clearly having conversations regarding "ultimate" toys"! You have way more toys than I do but the toys I have (or have had) are usually the best in class! As you know, last year I bought a compact Leica that I wanted for our trip to Hawaii. To sure, my little Leica is beautifully built and a joy to hold but it cost at least 25-30% more than a nearly identical Panasonic version. There is a certain unexlainable "feel good" sensation that some of us have when playing with our ultimate toys and it makes no difference at all whether the toy was bought new or used. Your used, but newer, Leica M6 is a very cool toy!