Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Loving Tribute to a Colleague


I went to a memorial service and a celebration today, for one of the great investigative reporters of our time.  His name was Brian Donovan, and he recently passed away.  So it was a gathering of family, friends, colleagues, and warm memories and admiration for an amazing, gentle man.  He won two Pulitzer prizes and yet always had time to help younger reporters with their craft.  So many speakers spoke of him as a life well lived.  Brian and I both started working at the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle back in 1964, and along with other reporters, all made our way to Newsday.  It was a heart warming experience to be there today.  On the way home, I saw this scene flash by my window, so I turned around and drove back to photograph it.  It was only when looking at the photograph on my computer that I made the connection with the fact that life is a journey, and somehow this photograph suggests that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This photo showing the "old" fence posts makes me want to take a walk down this lane. What a lovely way to remember your colleague when you look at this photo. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks, Betsey. It is such a beautiful scene. But you can't walk down this road, because it is the entrance to a private country club!