Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Master Quilter



This is my friend Sara, and she and her husband have been friends since I joined the Antique Telescope Society years ago.  Here is the interesting thing - she is a PhD who is in charge of antique science instruments at Harvard University!  Sara reads my blog and about a year or so she wrote and asked if she could have permission to use a photo of Stellafane that I had done, as the basis of a quilt.  I said "Yes" of course.  Well, this year at Stellafane, Sara brought two of her quilts and displayed them on the telescope field, and she even won a prize!


So this is the Stellafane quilt that she made.  Please click on it to see it in better detail.  This is such a magnificent work of art, and she is such a talented artist.  The other quilt she displayed was about the recent solar eclipse, showing the partial phases, and then totality, in the center.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are both beautiful works of art. The detail in the Stellafane quilt is so detailed and intricate, it is amazing. I tried quilting on a large simple scale years ago and the hand stitching is a lot of work.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The detail and color is amazing. I love the Stellafane quilt. It is beautiful! Does she sell them? Trace

Anonymous said...

Sara's quilt is really spectacular. Love all the details. She truly is an amazing artist. I haven't done any quilting for many years and I only did pieced geometric shapes. So her work is such a joy to look at. betsey