Monday, April 3, 2023

The Streets of New York 2


The Hotel Pennsylvania is a hotel at 401 Seventh Avenue in Manhattan, across from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden. Opened in 1919, it was once the largest hotel in the world. It remained the fourth largest in New York City until it closed permanently on April 1, 2020. After years of unsuccessful preservation battles, it is currently under demolition as of 2023.  So I have been photographing this since I discovered six months ago that it was covered in black netting to make sure debris from the demolition wouldn't injure anyone.  I haven't been in the city for a while, so when I was there last week I spent an hour photographing what little I could see.  I briefly saw these workers closing the doors after a huge truck laden with debris left the building.  Stay tuned for more of my photographs from the other day.  I love the "dance" and the symmetry of these three workers for a brief moment as they closed the doors.

 

1 comment:

Linda said...

One wonders why some building seem to get a lot of TLC, and others not so much. Great symmetry in this image.