Monday, September 24, 2007

Morning Light


Just an ordinary morning, early in fall. The sun's path is lower each day as it arcs through the sky. Because of this, the light is always just a little bit different each day. For some reason, today I saw this. I see this every morning - it is the bathroom window, and I suddenly noticed the light on the shutters after getting out of the shower. So I grabbed the camera and made a number of exposures. Here's the tricky part... I did some images where there was a sense that the light was "exploding" through the window and blinds, and then I did this darker version. It took me a long time to decide on this darker version. I am not sure why - I don't think it felt dark like this when I first saw it, but I like the drama better in this version. This also has a slightly magical feeling to it as well, the "something else" going on in a photograph that gives it a richness that comes from more complexity in the image.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love these photos of home. The ferns, the mailbox, the bathroom shutters. Makes me smile every time. :)

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for not knowing the rules for blogs...is posting more than one photo a day a no-no? You mention the same photo with exploding light - that would've been interesting to see, compare, then draw my own conclusion about which was better. Nice photo, but I think the dialogue should be confined to what we're shown, not what we can't see.