Friday, September 28, 2007

Nightscape


Taking out the garbage. That's how I saw this scene. I had already posted last night's photograph, so when I saw this (and it was at something like 1:30 AM), I realized I would save it for tonight. I shot it in color, but the different colors of the streetlights on different parts of the scene were distracting, so I thought I would look at it in black & white, and it is a much more effective photograph seen this way. For me this is evocative of that special feeling of summer nights that I have known since I was a child, and it also has that slightly haunting feeling of mystery. I love the mysterious in photographs. The solitary mailbox has a lot to do with the power of this photo as well.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey how weird, I commented yesterday on this, and I guess it didn't take. Maybe because my browser is in Chinese now, so I forget which button to push to cement the comment. Anyway, I agree. It reminds me of those summer nights when you don't know what's in the shadows, but so nice out, you want to take an evening walk and find out.