Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sylvia's Bread


I have worked with Sylvia Carter for more years than I can count - we both came to Newsday about the same time. She is a wonderful cook, and a gifted writer and some of my favorite things that she writes about are stories about growing up on the farm in Missouri. When we would do food shoots in the studio, she would show up with these wonderful old chipped enamel bowls or old kitchen items that would make for beautiful photographs even before the food was added to the shot. Today I had an assignment with her and when we were done, she offered me some of the apple pie she had made for the photograph, and half of the loaf of "butter bread" she had made as well. I was carrying it to the car, and passed through a shaft of sunlight and stopped in my tracks when I saw how beautiful the bread looked in that light. So I asked for a plate to put the bread on for a photo, then couldn't figure where to put the plate down, so Sylvia suggested holding it, which, of course, was perfect! Oh, how was it? Both the pie and the bread are GONE... In one meal... Thank you Sylvia!

No comments: