Sunday, February 10, 2008

Flat and Gray


It has been overcast for the past several days, and the light is flat, and everything seems gray outside. As you have seen from my posts, interesting light is one of the first things I see when looking for photographs. As I was backing out of the driveway I was looking at the yard, and thinking how uninteresting it was in flat light, given that it is wintertime and all the colors are muted. So I thought "There MUST be something that will look good in this flat light," and was determined to rise to the challenge to find something interesting in this light. Six feet closer to the street I spotted the trunk of my favorite tree and realized that it looked its best in this light, because in bright light you would loose detail in the shadows and loose the subtle textures of the tree.

2 comments:

Amy said...

what a beautiful old tree...you've captured it well. :)

Anonymous said...

it's got personality