Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Lunar Eclipse


Tonight there was a total eclipse of the Moon. We had high clouds, so the beginning of the eclipse was seen through them, which is frustrating. When the moon was finally hidden in the Earth's shadow, the last of the clouds moved out and I made this photo. Isn't it gorgeous, seeing the moon in that lovely copper color! The other cool thing is, since the Earth's shadow blocks the sunlight from illuminating the moon, we can see not only a dim copper-colored moon, but the stars as well. You may have to click on the image to see an enlarged version. In any case, that starlike object in the lower left of the photo is the planet Saturn! Very cool! It is even more magnificent seen with the naked eye, in real life. I hope some of you saw it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow. That is incredible. What a shot. You will be happy to hear we DID watch the eclipse, for a while -- thanks to Liz, who called me and reminded me. I'll post a photo we have on my page, too, so you can compare. It's, um, not quite as good as yours to say the LEAST, haa haa. This is stunning.