Thursday, February 7, 2008

Iron Front


I went to Manhattan today to renew my press card, and then decided to walk north up lower Broadway. For some reason I have never done that in all these years. Walked about a mile north, and passed a number of beautiful iron front buildings. This one feels as if it is in a predicament. I believe that the bracing structure was added on the left when the adjoining building was demolished. This is a beautiful structure, and is in excellent condition. Something about the narrowness of the building, and the fact that it was sitting all by itself was what grabbed me. Its size is deceiving however, because the side of the building we can't see goes half way down the block. I was finding photographs everywhere I looked, so stay tuned for more images in the coming days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this house. u cud plop it in france. u dont see this style much anymore and it reminds me of the style of house in the "Madeline" children's books. but maybe this house shud be called "Iron Side"