Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day


"Remembrance Day" is what they call this day in the United Kingdom. Here in the U.S. it is, of course, "Veteran's Day." I bought the new Mark Knopfler album "Get Lucky" a month ago, and it is a stunning album. Sublime music, and brilliant lyrics. One of the really touching songs on the album is "Remembrance Day" and he uses a group of children singing in the background of the song. He starts by describing a cricket match, with the town in the background, the players on the field, and people watching and waving handkerchiefs. Then he starts naming the names of the players, and it becomes obvious they died in the war. The refrain is "We will remember them, remember them..." It is a poignant song, and after hearing it a number of times, it chokes me up. You can find the song on iTunes or Amazon.com. It is more than worth the $.99 it costs. So after living with the song for a month, I find myself contemplating the day, and I spotted the neighbor's flag and realized that it was such an important part of the day. I made this photo from my front porch, where our flag was also on display.

No comments: