Thursday, July 11, 2013

Seaplanes!




Seattle is probably one of the seaplane capitals of the United States - well, at least in the lower 48.  I was excited about coming out here, because I hoped I could ride in one, on a tour of Seattle from the Air, AND that I could fly one myself, which I am scheduled to do on Saturday.  This aircraft is a DeHavilland Beaver, on floats, designed in 1946 (when I was 4 years old!)  They were manufactured up until 1967.  One of the really cool things is that they are powered by big radial engines, and have a wonderful deep throated sound when they are running.  This is a classic aircraft, and it was a thrill to finally get to ride in one.  I couldn't pick just one shot, so here is a view of the dock at Kenmore Air at Lake Union, and then a shot from inside of the pilot just before we took off, AND...  A shot out the front window as we flew by the Spece needle.  That must have been impressive for the people looking out to see the aircraft headed in their direction!

6 comments:

Dean said...

Ken-
I'd be more comfortable if my pilot were old enough to shave!
-Dean

Photodude Images said...

I thought you said it was the Wright Brothers airplane that was designed when you were 4 years old.

Anonymous said...

You must be in your glory - Are you smiling like you are 4 years old? Great photos!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Dean: That's what Kathy said! I said that the value of youth is a much quicker reaction time, as compared to an old guy like me!

Mike: VERY funny! No the Wright brothers came along AFTER I was born!

Joan: Yes, grinning from ear to ear!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are having such a great time! Enjoy your own piloting experience on Saturday and hopefully someone else will take a picture of you. bsk

Chuck said...

I'm jealous!