Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Time Machine


We took the car ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, on the way to Sequim, last week.  Ferries are an interesting experience for me.  They are like some kind of time machine, it seems.  You walk or drive onboard, and then while the ferry takes you somewhere, it is as if you are in suspended animation.  There is nothing to do, really, during the ride.  I mean, you can read a book or talk on your cellphone.  But for me, what this does is slow me down, and make me look around.  I never sit - I need to be at the bow to watch the boat depart, and I want to be at the bow when it arrives.  The rest of the time I am out on deck, walking around, looking at the surroundings, or walking through the ferry people watching.  The ferry makes you slow down, and just observe the world.

No comments: