Monday, November 25, 2013

B&W or Color?


Every once in a while, I take one of my color photographs and convert it to Black & White, because I am interested in seeing if it works better without the color.  Sometimes it's architectural photographs which work best when they are not in color, because those photographs are more about form, and they don't need color for that.  So today I converted this photograph of a church across the street from the Eastman House.


So what do you think?  Is this more effective in back & white?  I miss the warmth of the color in the first photograph - this photograph seems "colder."  Somehow I think that I am "wired" for color - I don't see things in B&W very often.

7 comments:

ken schwarz said...

While black & white is often a good choice for architectural and other highly detailed objects, I find that, in this instance, color adds more detail and interest and is more in keeping with the scene.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Ken Schwarz. The black & white is so cold with this photo.
Joan

ginger said...

i prefer the black and white this time, finding it austere and affecting, with the feel of a moment caught in the past.

of course i could make a strong case for the color version, too.

Ron said...

Then snow on the ground, the colorless sky and the hooded person with their hands in their pocket seem to make the black and white photo seem more fitting for the overall scene. B & W get my vote for this photo.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your votes. At least with this photograph, it is a really tough decision, isn't it? I should go see if I can find a photo that ONLY works in B&W!

Anonymous said...

I prefer the photo in black & white as the weather looks so bleak, cold. bsk

Unknown said...

I think if there were color in the color photograph like green or pink, I would like the b&w better. But because the color photograph doesn't have any distracting colors in it, I like it better than the b&w.