Monday, April 6, 2015

The Sentinel


This is a sculpture by Albert Paley, on the campus of RIT, called "The Sentinel".  I went to RIT today to visit.  I have photographed this sculpture before, but it looks different on an overcast day, against a gray sky.  I had framed the image in the viewfinder, and then realized that a man was about to walk in to the picture!  I thought "Oh no! He is going to get in the way of my picture!"  But instead, he sat on the end of the bench, and made the picture more striking because having him in the photograph, you get a sense of how large the sculpture really is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like that he is in photo to show how enormous this sculpture is.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I remember a professor in college who was teaching a course on architecture, telling us that as photographers, when we photographed architecture, to make SURE that we included a human, for scale. It works good for giant sculpture as well, it seems... :-)