Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Art Lesson, Sort Of




This is not really an art lesson because I know so little about art.  The first picture is a detail of a Jackson Pollock painting titled "Number 10,"  at the Museum Fine Arts, in Boston.  It was created in 1949 and was one of his earlier "drip" paintings, for which he is best known.  His drip paintings revolutionized abstract art when they first appeared in 1947. I haven't seen a Pollock recently and so I spent a lot of time studying this one.  We have all heard the criticism that "Oh, anybody could do that, it is just dripped paint."  What impressed me about this painting was the incredible complex detail evident in the painting!  It is really stunning how many layers there are in his canvases.  I decided that it took a detail from the full-size painting to appreciate how much is there.  Underneath that is a copy of the entire painting.

1 comment:

Dean said...

Hi Ken- The striking thing to me is how huge they are! At least the only one I've seen close up at the University of Iowa was huge - like 20 feet across! Anyway, your post of this painting is interesting because the day before, we saw the movie Ex Machina, where a Pollock figured prominently in the artificial intelligence plotline. -Dean