Thursday, September 10, 2015

Another Way of Seeing


I have just finished reading "Hold Still" the autobiography of the photographer Sally Mann.  She works with an 8x10 view camera, and glass plates that she coats with photographic emulsion herself.  She has a book of landscape photographs called "Deep South."  Many of the photographs are very impressionistic.  I was taken by them, and wanted to try and see if I could create this feeling in my own back yard.  This is a photograph of a vine hanging from a tree, with our house in the background.  I didn't use a normal lens on the camera, I used something called a "Lensbaby" which is essentially a simple lens, like a magnifying glass, mounted on the camera.  I love the feeling of this photograph!

2 comments:

ginger said...

this is strikingly beautiful, an image that holds the interest for a long, long time.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you! I did think it was special, if something really different.