Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Mystery Ship


This is some big yacht! It appeared early in the season, anchored inside the breakwater at Hempstead Harbor.  I have tried to photograph it before, but I needed to have a west wind so the yacht would be broadside to me, and also the sun would need to be in the south, around noontime.  I did a couple of photographs but neither was good enough.  Suddenly the other morning there it was in all its glory, broadside and lit properly.  Perhaps some readers (that would be you, Primo) would be able to guess the size of this yacht and tell us what kind of rig it is. My guess is that it is a ketch rig.

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

This is a very impressive water toy! It's a ketch for sure (the smaller mizzen mast is forward of the rudder post) and I would guess the length on deck is somewhere around 90'. It would be interesting to know the name and hailing port. I'm glad you waited for the wind and sun to line up for a nice shot!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you got rid of your dingy - you need to get in the water and investigate the name and port of this boat.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: Thanks for the guess. Wow, 90 feet or so! Yikes! Joan: The dingy is still under the front porch! Now what I need to do is to wait for a wind out of the north, and go down there with a telescope and get the name and port of the yacht.