Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Lunar Eclipse!


The weather forecast for this evening's lunar eclipse was not looking good.  But amazingly, just before the eclipse began the skies cleared!  I started observing with binoculars and then noticed a neighbor and her son trying to photograph the moon with a cell phone, using flash.  I asked if they had binoculars, and they didn't.  I said "stay right there - I am going to get a telescope."  She went and got two more neighbors and their two kids, and her husband, and I called another neighbor, and we had a star party!  The kids thought seeing this was pretty cool!  Then it looked like it would stay clear for a while, so I got another telescope and my camera, and this is the result.  After I got this photograph, I got out my 15 power binoculars and a lawn chair, and just sat there watching this magical scene.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo. Jenny and I walked down to the beach at 9 and 10 and took photos with our cell phones. :-) It was interesting to watch, but what amazed me was being able to see all of the stars when the moon was fully covered. A beautiful sight.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Stunning photo! What a beautiful color! I started watching the moon @ 8 pm out my bedroom window. Then I went outside @ 9 and started taking pictures with my cell phone and my camera. Lots of neighbors were also out. Exciting to see the Eclipse and the "Blood" Moon. bsk

Ken Spencer said...

To me, the magic of it all was to see the stars and the moon. Normally the moon is SO bright that there is no way to see the stars. But that changes, of course, during an eclipse. When I photographed my first lunar eclipse with a telescope, back in 1992, I think it was, the thing I wanted to see the most, was the glowing orange moon among the stars!

ken schwarz said...

Spectacular photo! Those of us living in the low country of South Carolina had no chance to see the super blood moon lunar eclipse. As usual, I had my first mug of coffee on the dock at the end of our street early this morning. It occurred to me that I should have sent you a message yesterday to see if it would have been possible for you to make a series of time-lapsed photos illustrating the start through end of the total lunar eclipse. 2033 is a long time to wait for the next one!