Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Holding Pattern



Wow, when was the last time you were in a holding pattern in an airplane?  I don't remember the last time I spent circling.  The process these days, is, that if there is going to be a delay at the destination airport, they put a "ground stop" on the departing flight, and then release it so that when it arrives at its destination there won't be any delays.  It saves a ton of fuel.  The problem with my flight from Dallas to LaGuardia was that while were enroute, the winds increased at LaGuardia, and then they could only use only one runway for both takeoffs and landings.  Imagine my surprise when the display on the seat back in front of me suddenly had a "hook" in the course!  I thought "What?"  About a minute later the captain came on the intercom and announced a hold of about 25 minutes.  Three turns in the hold and twenty five minutes, and we were on our way to LaGuardia again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could the delay at LaGuardia been caused by the landing skid of VP candidate Mike Pence? If so, you were, in a way, a part of history! I would rather be delayed on the ground than in the air, for sure!

ken schwarz said...

Holding Pattern - one of the many joys of air travel!

Ken Spencer said...

I arrived back on Tuesday night, and the Pence 737 skidded off the runway Thursday night. Nope, not a part of history for me! :-)