Tuesday, February 28, 2017

What to do at a Museum


OK, so I am not making fun here, because I take photographs of paintings in museums all the time.  I like to be able to bring the paintings home with me as a reminder, and sometimes to study them.  Although it is a completely different experience to view paintings in person, than it is to look at them in photographs or books.  Anyhow, I was standing looking at this painting, and in the ten minutes I was there, at least ten people came up with either cellphones or cameras to photograph the painting.  Confession: I had already photographed the painting by itself with my camera!  Another confession: I was watching the painting for ten minutes because I was trying to get a photograph like this!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this because it reminds of the time when museums wouldn't let you photograph paintings because they said the flash would fade the artwork.
But being able to see the image the person is taking by cellphone is one of my favorite formats. The cameras in cellphones are so amazing and I'm glad I've lived long enough to enjoy the technology!

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks for your comments! Interesting point! There are still some museums which do not allow photographs of the artwork. I treasure the museums that do allow photography. Some museums allow photography of items in their own collections, but do not allow photography of special exhibitions which include paintings from other sources.

ken schwarz said...

What is the name of the painting? And who is the artist? I am not able to associate an artist with this style of painting.

Ken Spencer said...

The painting is "Circus Sideshow" (Parade de cirque), 1887-1888 by Georges Seurat. Here is the interesting thing about this painting... He exhibited it once after its creation in 1888 and, his friends were dumbstruck. The artist never mentioned the picture nor did he exhibit it again. This painting was sold from the artist's estate in 1900 and was exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in the inaugural show in 1929.