Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The Fence and Gate in 1963


This is another of my early works, one that I thought was lost.  It is one of my all time favorites for a number of reasons.  This is a photograph of the gate that led to the path for the cows to get to the pasture on my grandfather's farm in Guilford, Connecticut.  My grandmother had a print of this for years, but I never did because I though the original transparency was lost. But I found it when I discovered a box with 12 rolls of color negative film, and a small three ring notebook with original transparencies in it!  What a wonderful discovery.  It is hard for me to figure out the power of this image for me,.  It is a romantic landscape because it is the family farm, and I love the design of the fence, the stone walls, and the haze in the distance that is so evocative for me.  As a child I played here and walked the cowpath down to the creek.   That must have something to do with the power of this photograph for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, simply a stunning image from a simpler time !!

Anonymous said...

This has always been one of my favorite photographs of the farm. It evokes wonderful childhood memories of Grandpa calling the cows in at the end of the day. "Here Bessey, Bessey" We were so fortunate to spend time on the farm and picnics on rocky hill.
Joan

Anonymous said...

As soon as this photo popped up, I was excited. Haven't seen it in along time. I remember picnics on rocky hill, as Grandma called it, and walking through the gate to where the cows were. betsey