Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Puck Building


When we were downtown, Stan and Ann and I we were walking up Lafayette street and went by this building.  Ann said "Look at the statue of Puck."  It is the historic Puck Building first built in 1885, and then added to in 1892.  The building sports two gilded statues by sculptor Henry Baerer of Shakespeare's character Puck, from "A Midsummer Night's Dream."  The building was the longtime home of Puck magazine, which gave the building its name; Founded in St. Louis in 1871, the magazine moved into the building in 1887 and remained there until it ceased publication in 1918.


Here is where I confess to the fact that I had never heard of "Puck."  But he is an amazing figure.  I guess I better go read "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing to think of this statute being build so many years ago. Let me know what your think of the book/play? :-)
Joan