Monday, August 31, 2020

I Got My Film Scanner Working Again...


When I retired, I bought a really nice Nikon 35mm film scanner.  I wanted to be able to scan some of my old 35mm negatives if I wanted to make prints or to post them on the web.  I didn't use the scanner all that much - most of my energy was put into making new photographs.  I would scan some images every now and then, but then with all the Mac OS updates, the Nikon software stopped working.  So I used an older computer and got the scanner working again.  Then that laptop died!  Oh man.  So no more scanning...  The other day it occurred to me to try some amazing software that was designed to work with any scanner, and it worked with my Nikon Scanner!  So I found a folder of random negatives that said "important."  I couldn't believe it when I saw what was in the folder.  There were negatives that I thought I had lost forever.  I was really surprised to find this one.  The story is that I was driving down the Long Island Expressway and got a call on the company radio that there had been a shooting at a motel, which was about 5 minutes away.  So I was the first one to arrive on the scene!  I got here before the police and before the body was covered.  Yikes.  It turns out that this was a mob hit.  This guy was running from the mob because he owed someone a lot of money.  Two guys were waiting for him when he left the motel, and that was it!  This was my least favorite assignment.  Man oh man.  Oh, and since the paper never runs photographs of bodies, the photo never ran.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gruesome picture and story! Humans can be brutal and horrible creatures. Trace

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got your scanner working but looking at a photo of a dead body is not something I like to see when I go to you blog. You certainly had some very interesting assignments in all of your years working.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I was shocked! Never thought about your taking photos of crime scenes. So happy to read that you can use your scanner again. Looking forward to some interesting old photos...betsey

Ken Spencer said...

I have three other photographs that I scanned, and I will be posting them in the next three days. You will enjoy THOSE photographs!