Saturday, April 1, 2023

Squall Line


About half an hour before dinner,  I saw the moon up high and decided to take a look at it with one of my telescopes.  I got the scope and mount out of the garage and set it up in the side yard.  I ran down to the basement and got my eyepiece case, and then used a low power eyepiece to find the moon.  I went to change to a higher power eyepiece, to see the craters in more detail, and suddenly the moon was gone!  There were some light clouds overhead moving in, so I looked to the north to see what was coming, and saw THIS!  The leading edge of a squall line.  So I quickly ran in the house, grabbed my camera, and jumped in the car and drove down the street to the beach where I could get a better view of the sky to the north.


Yikes, this was unbelievable!  Look at this cloud at the leading edge of a cold front.  I have left the color balance as the camera saw it.  It was getting dark and all the photographs have a bluish tint to them.


As the leading edge of the front moved over, there were a few sprinkles, and I looked back up the street and saw that the cloud looked like this from underneath.  It's not a tornado, but it looks like one from this view.  I am so glad I was able to react quickly and get this passage before it was gone.  I checked the timing on the photographs, and these three photographs were takin in the space of four minutes!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the cold front moving in. Love the shoreline photo with the lights in the background. Amazing the water looks so calm in the photo while the clouds look so full of energy. Trace

Anonymous said...

Great photos. My first thought was a tornado in third photo. It is amazing that the sky changed so drastically in four minutes.
Joan

Anonymous said...

These are scary looking photos! Glad you captured them so quickly. Betsey

Anonymous said...

Wow! No words to express the power you captured in these clouds

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am astounded that I managed to get these photographs in the span of only four minutes. It was amazing how quickly the clouds and sky changed in such a short time. I am so pleased that you enjoyed this photographs as much as I do!