Monday, April 10, 2023

Wind Turbines


We drove home from Rochester today, and the weather was beautiful, and traffic was light.  It was a nice ride home, with blue sky and sunshine.  On the way up to Rochester I spotted several giant wind turbines on the ridges as we approached Binghamton.  On the way home I looked more closely and had my camera ready for a couple of quick snaps.  These things are huge!  I did a search on the "internets" when I got home.  These turbines are located in Windsor, NY which is about 15 miles East Southeast of Binghamton.  I did find a couple of news stories that talked about a total of 34 wind turbines located in Windsor and Sanford, NY when the project is done.  They mention that some of the turbines will 600 feet tall!  Wow!  They looked huge but it was so hard to guess how high because they were so far away.


Here is a slightly closer view.  Their blades were "feathered" which means the edge of each blade was facing into the wind, so the blades would not rotate if the wind were blowing.  Not sure why that was.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the feathered blades and the non rotation so I had to look it up. I remember seeing wind turbines on the drive to Saratoga from years ago. Yes, they are huge!! Betsey

Linda said...

I'm not stating good or bad about the wind-mills, I just think they're incredibly beautiful and every time I pass a field of them I want to stop and make images of them. That's not possible of course, but I have come across a couple of fields where a back road is very close and I've been able to get some good shots..