Friday, October 19, 2007

A Nice Portrait


I photographed this man today. He seemed very gentle and I tried to make a portrait that was dignified. I tried to not be too dramatic in the way I photographed him. No low angles, dramatic lighting, or wide-angle shots. Just direct. So what is this all about and why did I photograph him in the first place? He is a construction supervisor, and this morning he found a hangman's noose made from yellow electrical wire, hanging from the front door of the building he was working in! It began at Columbia University about two weeks ago when a professor found a rope noose on her door. A week later a noose was found in the locker room at the Hempstead police station, and wednesday, two nooses were found, one of them containing a tarred toy animal, in a Hempstead town garage in Roosevelt. And now this... "This just shows me that hatred is still around, right on the surface," he said. What a sad testament.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sense of the gravity of the situation comes through strongly in this portrait. Fine job.
-- Ginger

Amy said...

I agree, this is a beeeeeautiful portrait. Very haunting because his face says so much more by not being plain angry. It makes me want to know him and hear his story. And I guess that being the whole point of a picture that goes with a story, you did your job!