Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Stabilator


OK, so now I am really panic-stricken! Terrified! Why? Because I found out today that some friends in the office are telling their friends about my blog (and their friends seem to like it.) So now the pressure is really on to do a good job from now on. No more lame excuses, no more weak photos! All along I have assumed that I have about 5 readers. Now it is clear that I have a lot more. Like maybe 8! Whew! (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)
Where was I? Oh, "stabilator." A stabilator (stabilizer-elevator) is an aircraft control surface that combines the functions of an elevator and a horizontal stabilizer. Anyhow, it is the big triangle-shaped slab thing in the foreground of this photo of an F-14 fighter aircraft. It is the second-to-last Grumman "Tomcat" ever built here on Long Island, and it is on display at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale. I love airplanes, and wanted to try and do something a bit abstract with this photo. It certainly is not a beautiful photo of an amazing flying machine. Oh, the VF-31 on the exhaust cover is the Navy Squadron number to which this aircraft was assigned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

8? already? will you feel better if some of us drop out for a while? ...

Amy said...

Haa haa, I concur with Ginger. Though I'd miss it too much, so I'm not volunteering... I mean, the things you learn on APED, sheesh. I don't even know what a horizontal stabilizer is, let alone know why they'd need one with an elevator in it. That kind of info is what Ken Spencers are for. :)

Cool shot.