Friday, October 26, 2007

Two Sisters


My assignment was to cover a group of Grumman Corporation retirees visiting the American Airpower Museum based at Republic Airport on Long Island. It was the 40th anniversary of their retiree group. So I photographed individuals who worked on the F-14 "Tomcat" after the writer interviewed them. But I needed something special, so I would park myself in this spot from time to time, and hope that a group of people would be walking by at once, to add some contrast to the individual portraits. Suddenly I noticed these two white-haired ladies coming around the nose of the aircraft, and I ran over to my spot to wait. "Oh please, oh please, oh please walk down here to the center of my photo" I kept saying to myself! And they did! Then they stopped for a minute and talked to each other about the aircraft. It turns out they were sisters, and one worked in the Grumman office, and the other had a husband who worked on the airplanes. I think it is the contrast in both age (This Tomcat was manufactured in 1992 - and is the second-to-last one made) and the difference in size that makes the photo so interesting to me.

No comments: