Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Observing Venus


I put together the program at my Astronomy Club tonight. It was a workshop that involved looking through telescopes indoors, at a model of the planet Venus, which I made. The model was put inside a cardboard box, lined with black felt. The small white ball was illuminated with a bright quartz light from the side, making a crescent Venus, which is how it appears to us here on earth most of the time. After a while, one of our members, who knows more about the real Venus than most people on earth, went up to my setup, and looked inside to see what I had done. Fortunately I saw this from a distance, grabbed my camera and quickly made three exposures before he moved away. I love this shot, because it is strange looking, and not obvious what is going on at all.

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I like this photograph! Without your commentary, there would be a mystery as to what the lone gentleman is doing in a sparsely appointed room with his head under a black cover and hands clasped behind his back. Food for thought, maybe try an occasional post from time to time like this but without explanation and see what comments you get back?

Ken Spencer said...

Great idea, Jas! Thanks. I will try and shoot more and talk less... :-)