Monday, July 5, 2010

The Robin Died


I was working on my bike on the patio, and a robin hopped by me, and stopped to watch. It seemed strange that it wasn't more cautious around me. It hopped around the back yard, and then headed into a garden near the house. A couple of hours later I saw it hop out of the garden and around the yard again. I began to think it might be sick. I put out a bowl of water, but the bird was not interested. Several hours later I saw it again while looking through my telescope at the sun. I brought the bowl over, and the robin jumped up on it and took a drink. It sat on the edge of the bowl for half an hour. After a while it hopped off the bowl, and fell on it's face. It tried to get up and failed. I got a box and put the bird in it in case any cats came by. But it was not long before the robin was gone. I have no idea why - it didn't appear to be injured.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's the CYCLE.....
it all happens for a reason...

Anonymous said...

Could be West Nile. Should bag it, put it in the refrigerator, call the county health department.

Anonymous said...

Bag and place it in his refrigerator? YUK! Better check with your wife first. Maybe the Robin just died from old age....at least you offered it a kindness in the end.

Anonymous said...

check out this web site...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/060925-west-nile.html

would rather it be robins and not people. but maybe the county needs to start spraying.

Ken Spencer said...

Wow... West Nile... Whew... That is a bit scarey. I buried the bird deep enough so animals wouldn't dig it up. But still... whew... thanks for the information.

Amy said...

Wow, that is so sad. :( And fascinating about the West Nile, sheesh. But I agree, you gave it some kindness in its last hours, so it was lucky to have met you. :)

Anonymous said...

You were kind to him and I think that counts for all creatures.