Thursday, May 5, 2011

All or Nothing...


All or nothing. Funny how that works in terms of how to photograph a scene. In this case, it is Taughannock Falls, in Trumansburg, NY. I have photographed this before and posted it, but because it was spring, and because there have been heavy rains for the last week I decided to stop and see how it looked with a lot of water coming over the precipice. I was not disappointed. But when I included the entire waterfall, it looked kind of ordinary, in some way. If I showed the waterfall, and the river below and part of the gorge as well, it was interesting, but the waterfall lost all of its grandeur - it looked like part of a small stream. But when I cropped into the falls, and showed only part of it, and included some of the interesting formations in the rocks, then it appeared to grow in power. And as you can see, it became a bit mysterious as well, because you can't see all of it. So sometimes less of an object may be more. I like this photograph a lot, now that I finally figured out how to see it properly.

1 comment:

ken schwarz said...

Dramatic photo. I can almost hear the thunder of cascading water into the river below. Very nice!