Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Different Way of Seeing


This is a photograph of the Montauk Lighthouse. Yeah I know. But it is. I have photographed this structure many times over the years. As I got out of my car, I saw these brambles at the edge of the parking lot. I started wondering what it would look like if I crouched down so that the branches covered the lighthouse. I experimented for a while with variations, and liked this one best. But why would I do a photograph of the Montauk Lighthouse like this - you can hardly see the subject of the picture? Well I did it, because I am always thinking about trying to see subjects in new ways. I am not very good at actually accomplishing this, but I think about it a lot. This time I came up with something. I mean, if someone gave me an assignment to shoot Montauk Light, I wouldn't do this. I also photographed the light in traditional ways. I will show you those pictures in the next couple of days. You won't be disapointed.

No comments: