Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday


The pastor of our church asked if I would come take some photographs of services on Ash Wednesday, so that he could use them in church publications and on the web. I agreed and was there early for the 12:10 service, which was good, because it was standing room only. Yikes! I could hardly find a place to crouch, waiting for the time when they apply the ashes. Both the priest who is officiating at the Mass, and several lay persons were available to apply the ashes. I did some wide-angle views to cover myself, but felt that a close up of one or two faces would make for a more powerful photo. I shot almost everyone as the ashes were applied, and hoped that I would catch that special "something" in one of the images. I think this one fills the bill. I can't explain why, but there is something about the woman's expression that takes this image above the others.

4 comments:

Fred Krellenstein said...

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS INTERESTING PICTURE, KEN!
I THINK IT'S THIS WOMAN'S EXPRESSION OF SERENITY THAT MAKES IT SO EFFECTIVE

FRED

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Fred: Serenity! That's it! I knew there was something, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks so much for your comment, and for figuring it out. This brings to mind something Ralph Hattersley, one of my first professors in college told us: "Never ask a photographer what they are up to, because they are the last to know."

Anonymous said...

Fred is right on.

Photodude Images said...

I heard that all the ashes could cause sensor dust. Nice pic.