Saturday, February 11, 2012

Forbidden


So on my long walk, I went all the way to the power plant. Across the street from the plant was some piping that came out of the ground that looked interesting. I took my camera out, and within ten seconds, a guard came out of his shack, and said that I couldn't take any pictures. I said "of what?" He said "of anything." He pointed to a small sign behind me, on the brick wall surrounding the power plant, and it said something about "No photography permitted." But that was on the wall of the power plant, and this was across the street. So I thanked the guard for telling me, and walked on, and he went back to his shack. About 100 feet further I saw this oil tank with it's brilliant blue color, and decided it was worth a shot. For what it is all worth, these tanks say on them "Abandoned in Place, 1991" and it has been announced recently that the power plant itself is slated for demolition! Gimmie a break! Oh wait: "It's because of 9-11" By the way, these steel tanks are apparently coated with some kind of insulating foam, and I am guessing that the black "stains" on the blue are mildew. Just a guess. But this feels kind of like an abstract painting. That's why I wanted to photograph it in the first place.

2 comments:

Photodude Images said...

Ken, you're getting mellow in your retirement. When it comes to photographing things from the public street, the power plant can post all the signs they want but they mean nothing. While the guard is doing what they are told to do, they need to hear that you have the right to shoot as long as you're not on their property and they have no power to stop or interfere with it.

Ken Spencer said...

Mike: Thanks for this! My sense was that I COULD photograph from a public street. In the city they said at one point that the New York Stock Exchange couldn't be photographed. That misinformation has been corrected. But my concern is that a police officer who doesn't deal with technicalities like this, could have the wrong the idea about what is involved. And then it could get out of hand.