Sunday, February 26, 2012

Old Timer


I went to a tag sale just because I wanted to see the house it was held in. There was a lot of junk that didn't tempt me at all. Just before I left, I went out to the garage, and saw this typewriter sitting on the floor. I cannot understand why it was even for sale, given that it is so far gone. It must have been out in the weather. And of course, since it is in a state of decay, I was immediately attracted to it. It seems so sad to see this magnificent machine in such a sorry state. My grandfather had a typewriter like this, and Amy bought one like this years ago. Because I have worked with so many writers over the years, and have family members who are writers, and know the power of words on a page, a once-magnificent machine like this seems almost sacred in some way, which makes it's demise even sadder.

No comments: