Monday, April 22, 2013

Pitcher of Spoons


We were cleaning out one of the kitchen drawers, and there were too many old wooden spoons in the drawer.  Way too many!  So we took all these out, and were going to toss them in the trash.  But I happened to look at the pile of them, and envisioned a photograph.  So I found the pitcher that I bought in France in 2005, and put the spoons in it.  Then I went looking for a background.  Suddenly I saw the late afternoon sun, which was coming through blinds in the kitchen, leaving this pattern on the dining room wall.  I grabbed a tripod with a small tabletop on it, quickly put it into the sunlight, and shoot this. I love the quality of light, because it is not simple light - it is quite complex.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! And I see a face in the tall spoon on right. Do you?

Anonymous said...

Don't throw out those old wooden spoons - keep them in your pitcher. Lovely old-fashioned feeling. Personally, I really like cooking with my wood spoons. bsk

Anonymous said...

This is a picture I would hang in my kitchen. Wonderful light and shadows, colors, textures. It's like an oil painting - it has so much richness. A home run, buddy!

Ken Spencer said...

Anonymous: So glad you loved the picture. Email me, and I will send you a print!

Anonymous said...

This would also be a fine still life with "even" and soft lighting. Careful, though- you can never have too many old wooden spoons... .

Now, on to the sock drawer!

Sam