Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Squall Line



I was on my way to my astronomy meeting tonight, and as I was leaving the house, it was getting dark.  By the time I got about 3 miles away, it was really dark, and I could see this huge black cloud coming from behind me.  While sitting at the red light it passed overhead and headed into the distance.  It was the leading edge of a squall line - the front that precedes thunderstorms.  About 10 minutes later the wind and rain arrived, along with lightning.  There is something wonderful about seeing nature's power in this way.  And sometimes it makes for interesting photographs.

2 comments:

Photodude Images said...

What does the astronomy club do when you can't see the stars?

Ken Spencer said...

We watch DVD presentations about the stars, or now that the Vanderbilt Planetarium is open, after being completely refurbished, with a brand new star projector, we watch stars on the dome, inside, out of the rain. REAL astronomers observe in the wind and bitter cold. I am not a real astronomer... :-)