Wednesday, April 17, 2013

You Are Going to LOVE This One!


This stunning cactus was in a special greenhouse devoted to succulents and cacti.  By itself it was stunning, but with blossoms forming on the top, it was amazing!  I love the design of this photograph.  But here is the unexpected best part...   I had the scientific name, so I looked it up in Wikipedia, and read THIS:  "Echinocactus grusonii is a well known species of cactus native to central Mexico from San Luis Potosi to Hidalgo. Described by Heinrich Hildmann in 1891, it is popularly known as the Golden Barrel Cactus, Golden Ball or, amusingly, Mother-in-Law's Cushion."  "Mother-in-Law's Cushion?"  Are you kidding me?  That is hysterical!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love this picture!!! I have already saved it to my desktop as my new favorite :-) bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you! It is an amazing Cactus. And as for having the Photodude carry around a supply of lenses for me while I just carried my camera - well, that's the way to shoot!