Saturday, December 7, 2013

It's All About The Background


I was bagging the last of the leaves, and as I looked down at the pile on the ground, I noticed this single Hosta leaf on the top of the pile.  It stood out because it was black around part of its edge.  So I saved the leaf because I liked that the colors were so muted.  I wanted to photograph it, but I realized that the background would make all the difference.  I thought about pieces of wood both light and dark, or other leaves, or cardboard, or brick or the surface of the driveway.  Then I thought of dirt.  That would be a natural background, and since it was dark, it would become less significant.  So I went over to one of the gardens with a rake, and pulled up some weeds, and carefully raked the soil clean, and here was my perfect background. I love how the whole picture is muted, and warm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You work hard to create picture perfect!
Joan

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, it's all in the staging! And sometimes, it's spur of the moment. Thank goodness you know which to use for the right shot...bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your observations. I kind of forget to think that way - sometimes it is spur of the moment, and sometimes it involves *making* the picture, instead of just taking it.