Saturday, February 21, 2015

Beauty is the Eye of the Beholder...



I was out in Huntington and saw the frozen harbors, so decided to drive over to Northport.  I spotted these giant smokestacks from a long way off and they looked beautiful to me.  Beautiful colors, with red and white stacks against a deep blue sky, with white steam.  What's better than that?  So then the trick was to find the best place to shoot them from.  I found this frozen inlet and walked out on the ice to get a clear shot.  Then as I walked back through the woods, I became fascinated with the stacks as seen through the trees.  It makes for a more complex image, and I actually think that it is a better photograph.  I don't know, what do you think?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the first photo. It is so clean and brilliant!
Joan

Anonymous said...

I prefer the top photo because of the bright clear colors. Simple. bsk

Anonymous said...

I say 2nd photo, because of your reasons. More complex composition. More interesting to look at.-- Stan

Ken Spencer said...

I wanted to like the first picture the best, but there was something going on in the second photo that wouldn't let go - something that made me keep coming back to look at the complexity of the woods layered over the stacks. Thanks to all of you for your comments.