Friday, February 20, 2015

The Conjunction!



After the Sun had set today, the Moon and Venus appeared together setting in the western sky.  As it got even darker, the planet Mars with its reddish color, became visible above Venus.  The two planets and the ghostly Moon were unusually close.  This was a sublime sight, both with the unaided eye, or with binoculars.  What is interesting is how quickly the Moon moves in relation to the planets.  My friend Dean, in Tucson, did similar photographs when it got dark in Tucson, about two hours after I shot these, and the Moon has moved so much that it is up above Mars.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Stunningly beautiful photographs! I particularly like the top picture due to the brilliance of the moon, venus and mars against the clear deep blue sky but the darker picture of the conjunction is nicely framed with trees.

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted both photos. Wonderful! I was lucky enough to see this because I had to walk a neighbor's dog after I got home from work. It was so clear. bsk