Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Collimation Lecture


At our astronomy meeting tonight, we had a lecture on how to collimate a Newtonian telescope.  My friend John, standing at left, was the lecturer.  He is a master Amateur Telescope Maker and mirror maker.  "Collimation" is the process of aligning the optical elements in a telescope for the best performance - in the case of a Newtonian, the two mirrors which make the telescope work. Here John talks with another member, as a third member, in the foreground checks the alignment.  I love this photograph because there is so much going on in it.  This is about the most action you are liable to find in one of my photographs!

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

The hand jestures absolutely make this photograph!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ken Schwarz. The man in the foreground reminds me Lauren's Dad.
Joan