Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spaceflight!



Today we toured two different observatories to see more telescopes.  The first was the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland.  We came to see three beautiful telescopes - two "antiques" and one modern Cassegrain.  After seeing and photographing the telescopes which were in separate observatories outdoors, I wandered into the Science Center and was stunned to find this Mercury capsule.  I have seen several of these original capsules in other museums around the country, but I have NEVER seen one that you can climb into.  And I was in shock when I got inside.  I didn't feel claustrophobic while in there, but when I tried to imagine one of the Mercury astronauts, all suited up, and locked in with the door bolted closed, sitting on top of a rocket, it freaked me out!  These capsules are SMALL!  I cannot begin to imagine being blasted into space in such a confining place. You certainly had to have "the right stuff" in order to do that!  I mean I was impressed with astronauts in general, but this brought my appreciation to a whole new level.  There is a photo as well of the panel in the capsule - this was clearly not a complete capsule, but rather some sort of training device.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun photo, but I have no intention of getting into a space capsule! :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Never realized that the inside of the capsule was SO small. I'm glad you had the photo taken so we could see the actual size. The astronauts were true heroes going into space!! bsk

Chuck said...

Very interesting, Ken. I can't imagine being in such a confined space...not to mention the rocket ride.