Thursday, March 2, 2017

Buildings Seen Through Trees.


On my trips to Manhattan, and my walks up and down Fifth Avenue, I have been taken with views of buildings as seen through trees.  I am not sure why I am seeing these pictures this year, but I can't help myself.  I think it has to do with seeing the structure of the trees without their leaves, with the added complexity of the buildings as background.  What was fun was on this visit was to find a painting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Paul Cezanne, titled "Trees and Houses near the Jas de Bouffan, 1885"  My photographs are not unlike this painting in some ways.  Crazy, huh?



 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful and excellent contrast of the organic and inorganic structures in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Yes! The vision of Cezanne! Artists can see the same thing and interpret it in 1,000 different ways. He used brushes. You use a camera. No matter the medium, you are all artists.

Anonymous said...

I like what the 2nd "anonymous" wrote! Perfectly said. bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments! I love the first comment about "the organic and the inorganic structures in our lives." I could never put words to the photographs in that way. Thanks so much for commenting!

Anonymous said...

glad you liked my comment Mr Spencer. the photo sequence is very nice. my youngest son now 30 is a student of advanced mathematics and computer science at the university (he's pragmatic and on the pay as you go plan while he also works full time and supports himself quite well) yesterday he introduced me to a movie from one of his current classes. it is called "Tim's Vermeer" you can find it on amazon to rent or netflix or iTunes and so forth. It is a fantastic documentary about many things visual and that technology may well have influenced the famous painter Vermeer nearly 350 or so years ago. I believe that you and your wife would really enjoy seeing this documentary. and maybe you already have seen it none the less it is worth seeing as a photographer, and one who is interested in the arts and technology -laurel